Baking in The Avenue, Bishop's Waltham since 1899
Stainers Bakery (originally Newtown Bakery) was built by a Mr Mogg, and soon taken over by Mr Albert William Batchelor (pictured below with his wife and daughter in the delivery cart outside the bake house). He ran the business until 1922, before it was taken over by Sidney Mesher and then to the business' current namesake, Mr Walter Stainer in 1939.
Mr Stainer retired in 1985 but when Mr David and Mrs Christine Blandford, the current owners, took over, the name Stainers had stuck.
With nearly all the family having worked in the bakery, including their Son-in-Law being the bake house manager, Stainers is truly a family business, providing the village and beyond with fresh daily goods. Many of our recipes have been handed down through generations, and are served to not only our own Shop located in Bishop's Waltham High Street, but also to a range of wholesale customers.